Saturday, July 30, 2011

Week #7 in Cape May N.J. at Martini Beach !


What a great night it was last Wednesday! I could feel the enthusiasm and energy from the audience throughout the evening as I watched them move and tap to the rhythm of the Cuban music that we performed. If there was a dance floor, I'm sure that some of them would have been using it! Along with the applause that we recieved (after almost every number!), making eye contact with so many of the audience and seeing the excitement in thier faces was one of the greatest rewards of being a musician that I could recieve. This is the reason that I became a professional performer years ago, and it continues to drive me to reaching for higher goals in my art. For this upcoming performance (Wednesday August 3rd 7:00-10:00pm) I am preparing some new Cuban music to add to my repertiore. As usual, I am drawing inspiration and musical ideas from recordings of the great Cuban pianists who were major performing icons of the 1940's and 1950's. I also spend a lot of listening time dedicated to the music of the great "orquestras" and Cuban big bands of that time period and before. This is the only way that I can get an understanding of the true "feel" and meaning of this music. I am so thankful to live in a time when technology allows me to be able to find these restored vintage video and audio recordings so easily. When I was a teenager all that we had were records, and later cassette tapes. Now I can go online and find information about any song or artist in seconds. Well, It's time for me to get back to the piano. I hope to see you Wednesday night at Martini Beach!

1 comment:

Martini Beach said...

Happy to have you guys, Gil!